Friday, June 4, 2010

When you have a Bad Day...

...then the vet comes and injects blood into a shin and things are all smiley again :)

I knew it would be a Bad Day before I even woke up. Had this absolutely terrifying dream that I won't type out for fear it comes true...got to the barn exhausted and not prepared to face the (long) day ahead. We went from having maybe ten horses go to the track (with all of the others walking because they had run) to only having 3 walkers and 18 horses going to the track. Not to mention it's humid and gross all morning and I was grumpy because I left my bandanna at home.

Soooo...Diva was extra tough today and will be getting the joy of a figure-8 on tomorrow. This may make her tougher, but at least it will keep her mouth closed so I have SOME shot of getting her to relax and gallop *ahem* normally. She wears me OUT. Then Butters had to jog again (more on this subject in a minute) and he was a complete jerk...at one point he launched himself and kicked out at a poor innocent horse standing out and almost hit her. Way to go, Mr. Dressage Pony. You can do levades. Next was Orange, who galloped beautifully and then decided to make a right-hand turn right into another galloping horse when I was pulling up. He has done this to me twice now...it's almost like he doesn't see the horses galloping to his inside and it scares him...but I have to find a way to anticipate it, because that behavior is NOT okay.

Then came Blackie, who was her usual bubbly self and bucked around beside Jack, who just happened to take off on the turn for absolutely no reason. This would be the first of several bad incidents involving Jack. Next was Stormy...thank the good Lord that he is running tomorrow and I won't have to get on him for at least four days. He is over the top right now...I can barely get him out of the barn without him jumping around. Then he gallops like it's the funniest thing in the world to bound around out of control, then I have to hold my breath until he's back in the barn because he's ready to explode at any second. He is sitting on a huge race though, I can feel it.

Flash was next, and he was actually fairly decent today...he pulled me around but finally relaxed and galloped well. This ride was marred by some jerk who thinks asking me out while galloping is appropriate. I try to be nice to people, I smile....and it gets me into situations like the above. Give me a break. Thank goodness Flash turned around and jogged away quickly.

After break, the real "fun" began. First with Ella, we are just pulling up when a loose horse runs straight at us. I whipped Jack around and the horse missed us by inches....way too close a call for me. Now Jack's all riled up for Lion, the worst POSSIBLE horse to be riled up for. She was bloody insane today...she hasn't done anything in two days and she let me know it. Naturally Jack fed off of her energy and tried to take off on the turn....then coming off the gap she jumped up and away from me and Jack bucked and took off the other way. Thank Heavens I kept a hold of her but then proceeded to get after Jack the entire walk home...which made me feel horrible because it really isn't his fault. Darn it.

Luckily, the morning began to turn around with Kazzie, who is my light. :) She is learning SO fast. She backs up calmly and professionally and stands out as long as I want her to. She's not above playing around a little bit but she really tries and is galloping so much better....switching her leads and everything. She even managed to keep up with Sought today! Tomorrow will be a huge test for her, she has to go by herself AND before break! She can do it, though. Ahhh, I just love her. :)

So after Jack was bathed and linimented up, I held Stormy for a much needed sheath cleaning and then held Butters while his shin was shock-waved and then some version of IRAP therapy was done to him. It was neat, I had never seen it done before. He now has to jog for another 10 days...which makes me want to hide in a corner somewhere, but hopefully we can prepare a wee little cocktail for him every morning.

A new baby came in today around lunchtime, and we are all set to claim a filly tonight! Keep your fingers crossed! Long day tomorrow, as most Saturdays tend to be....a million horses to get out (and a bunch of breezers) and then Storm runs in the last race. Jingles for the big horse! He deserves it!

No comments:

Post a Comment