Sunday, May 2, 2010

The roses were sweet...

The day after Derby is always a little like the day after Christmas...you spend so much time getting built up for this 2 minute race, and then it's just...over. Churchill becomes a ghost town, all the media and rabid fans leave, and it's "just" another day at the track. Nevertheless, this week has reaffirmed how much I truly love my job, and how blessed I am to have it.

To recap a few of the highlights of our 48-hour stint in the track photographer's booth:

1. Jane Fonda has chimps.
2. "That's not REALLY Secretariat."
3. "You can just plug it in at the Lobster Shack..."
4. "Oh wow, look at that one. I love that one. That one is gorgeous. Baby, do you want one? Um...no..."
5. Appoint holding business cards like a champ. "Um, hello?" "Appoint! Is that you!?"
6. Gnochi, mac and cheese, cajun shrimp, free drinks and delicious Derby pie...it pays off to be a media employee at Derby!
7. Yate's Black Cat.

There were lots of other good times, however they're all blurred together. So exhausted. Calvin is incredible. Crisp broke my heart because she had such a bad trip in the Oaks but still ran as hard as she could, and I still adore her. Lucky ran his heart out as well...heck, they all did. Thank God they all came home safely and will fight another day. As will I, tomorrow, provided Stormy doesn't kill me after three days off!

No comments:

Post a Comment