Saturday, April 24, 2010

Sloppy

The track was absolutely repulsive today...I didn't even make it off my first horse without getting splattered with mud. In case you've never had the pleasure of that experience, it hurts, and it puts me in a bad mood almost immediately. Goldi just jogged today since she's still getting over her weird illness/heat stroke the other day...she was not the good little girl I thought she would be and yanked my arms out...at least we only had to go one round. She's a little stick of dynamite and she doesn't back off until she's back in her stall...not the most pleasing characteristic to have when there's infinite walls of horses in front of you. Alas, we made it. Flash was next, and although he likes the track to be a little wet, pure and utter slop is not his cup of tea. Actually, I don't think it was any of my horses' cup of tea (except for Stormy, who I will get to later). Flash couldn't get a hold of the track to save his life and this just furthered my mood. Diva was next...by this point my very good friend K had arrived for her first backside experience :) Diva, typical after a day off, was full of it. So full of it that she managed to lock her right jaw and pull me towards the rail the entire gallop...eventually to the point where she tripped and almost fell because she was so busy arguing with me. She's quite sure she knows best and isn't keen on listening to my opinion...but she walked home very politely. Then came Allie who basically came out of her stall breathing fire. Trying to go on the gap, we were run into by another horse and that was the only excuse Miss Thang needed to erupt. By erupt I mean broncing like a rodeo horse and rearing straight in the air only to land and spin and do it again. I finally got her moving forward and now had to contend with her "water buffalo" huffs and puffs and her tail straight up in the air. She settled down but had a particularly hard time with the slop. Such a stinkwad. Next was darling little Gem, who has really become one of my favorites lately. He was the picture of class today, absolutely perfect despite the scary track and all the staccato hoofbeats on the front side. He doesn't seem to love the slop either but he did his best and I was very pleased with him. Ella ponied today and was wonderful...it was nice to not have to fight with her and just let her enjoy her training time.

At break we went up to watch the Derby and Oaks horses. I am more high on American Lion than ever. He reminds me very much of Barbaro, he is training fantastically and has a beautiful stride that just floats over the ground. The slop didn't seem to bother him at all. Lucky continues to impress me and had a nice relaxed gallop today. He does everything with so much class. Super Saver worked under Calvin today and really impressed me...he's not a flashy horse but he is special to watch. Lion replaced Dublin in my tri today as Dublin bolted shortly after beginning his gallop and ran off the gap, scattering camera crews and fans. Whether this has been a problem with him before or if he just started it, it's not a good sign. Devil May Care continues to impress with her graceful way of going and worked very impressively. Either race she runs in, she will belong.

After break I galloped Stormy, and he was the only horse who really relished the slop today. He is always a joy to gallop and was an absolute professional today. Butters was surprisingly well behaved and classy today as well, although I felt like we were on a slip-n-slide the entire gallop. He stood out quietly and despite the marathon runners in the infield he focused on his job. He's matured quite a bit since we got him in the barn and I'm starting to really enjoy him.

Day off tomorrow, and hopefully the track will be a bit better for the kiddos on Monday! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment