Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Today was just one of those mornings where all the horses make me smile. Most mornings, at least one or two of the kiddos will make me want to claw my eyeballs out, but today...not so much. They were all wonderful in their own special ways. So, not to bore everyone, but I feel the need to just run through the morning, horse by horse.

Stormy: My big horse always starts my morning off right. He's getting so much better about bridling, and mounting, and walking to the track without broncing like a rodeo horse. I just have to always remember that he's cold-backed and hates when I land on his back after my leg-up, so I have to kind of hover above him before I sit...seems to work. He marches to the track like he owns Churchill Downs, sets one hoof on the track and immediately starts jogging. He is the only horse in the barn that I trust to back up without putting a foot wrong. He stands out like a pro, then we start off...he has the most amazing, ground-covering stride...does everything like a stakes horse. We have to get this big guy back to the races.

Flash: Babay felt much better today. Jogged one and galloped one...he was relaxed and hitting the ground beautifully. I want him to make it...he is so classy and so good about everything...he wants to train but he's polite about it. Hopefully tomorrow he'll have another good day.

Goldi: Hello, pixie. She is the smallest Medaglia D'Oro I've ever seen...possibly half the size of my MDO gelding. She is so fun to gallop...she starts off way too fast but then she comes right back and gallops around like a pony. One of Ralph Nicks' horses came up beside us and she never even got tough...which I appreciate.

Ella: I hate to admit it but I'm starting to like this filly more and more. She is so peculiar and tough to deal with but she's got personality and I like it. Now that I'm finally starting to get used to her somewhat strange galloping style, we're doing a lot better. Relaxation is just key for her.

Dancer: ...was SUCH a good boy today. Made it all the way around the racetrack galloping with the pony. Never got tense or hot or even looked at the gaps. S is going to start backing him off the pony and getting him to go by himself...will be exciting to see him progress. You can't not like him...such a big and handsome horse.

Cash: Backed up with Brass Hat today and tried showing off for him. She is such a flirt. She galloped around nicely...but that wasn't the best part...before we started out, one of McPeek's horses got loose and Cash helped herd him. She may have a future as a cow pony if racing doesn't work out :)

Gem: I tried testing him a little bit today and he came through with flying colors. We had four horses directly in front of us and I made him take some dirt in his face for a few strides, then a hole opened up in the middle of the pack and I shot him through it. He never even hesitated...once he was in the clear he started fooling around a little bit but he's doing everything else so professionally that I wasn't too worried. He is standing beautifully, starting out relaxed, and walking home like a gentleman. He is a classy, classy colt...

Alli: Fatty McFatterson doesn't enjoy the heat but she was willing. Stood out for a long time and just watched the other horses train...she is one of the few that will stand for as long as I want. When I was ready she just walked off like a total champ...she's really fun to ride...just has to get that weight off.

So that was my morning. Makes me excited to go back tomorrow and do it all over again. I'm so blessed to get to do this job every day...and to have these horses to get on...they are just the best kiddos in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment